Monday, June 20, 2011

Thursday: Osmotherley to Chop Gate

Miles Traveled: 8

Man! It was a great day for walking! Was a shame it was again a short day. Blue skies, puffy (happy) clouds, NO RAIN, and best of all... it was clear enough to see the North Sea! Destination in sight!

Today also brought the return of uphill, which was lovely after walking flat bits for so long. The North Yorkshire Moors are covered in Heather. I bet in August when they are in bloom is beautiful. There is a walk here called the Cleveland Way, which is 100 miles which winds throughout the Moors, I bet that is quite a sight!

Scarth Wood Moor, Carlton Moor and Cringle Moor were crossed today. Amazing views of nearby Moors as well as the villages below. Also got a nice view of the iconic Roseberry Topping, the Matterhorn of England!

Tomorrow is about 20 miles, to include the Wain Stones, the 4th highest pub in Britain, and a couple more Moors before I find myself to Glaisdale for my last B&B. Then onto Robin Hood's Bay!

Tonight I am at BeakHill Farm, which to be honest from the outside kind of scared me, but inside it painted quite a different picture. The hosts are really nice and lovely, but it is a working farm so its a bit rough around the edges. However, any ill thoughts are dispelled with the warm cuppa poured for you and the great conversation from the farmer and his great wife. The dinner (which was included) definitely hit the spot, and a nice change from pub grub. Beef, peas, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower... and ice cream for dessert! Pure heaven let me tell you.

The other people staying here are good fun as well, played Gin Rummy and a game called Sevens with them... and some chatting continuing onto late in the evening. I have never seen them doing the walk until today, which is quite strange. I am very glad to have met them!

No beer tonight, but I did try Dandelion & Burdock Soda at lunch. Apparently the drink has been imbibed since the 13th Century!

No comments:

Post a Comment