So here is day One of my Westweg hike- from Pforzheim to Dobel. I do not know what happened but my GPS missed some mileage... so just imagine a line where it makes sense! Oh and its in two maps... but I was happy GPS worked.
Day One - Part 1: Pforzheim to some random point on a river
Day One - Part 2: Neunberg to Dobel
Day Two: Dobel to Forbach
For the lazy people here is the summary:
Total Distance: 59.43 km
Total Time: ~13 hours
Not too bad if you ask me!
Some things I learned on the trip:
- Band-Aids are so important: and tissues work in a pinch, but be prepared to reap the consequences
- When you think you've overpacked... you haven't: After the first day I was thinking how silly I was bringing snow pants and crampons. Halfway thru the 2nd day I was counting my blessings!
- Breakfast is important: Mom was right, it IS the most important meal of the day! I didn't bite into my Snickers bar until Forbach (but then I instantly became ravenous and the granola came soon after)
- Music is good to lift spirits
- Do not rely on your phone to get you directions: I had FULL bars in Dobel but was getting nowhere with Google Maps or the interwebs, luckily the Gasthof had signs from the trail
- Talk to yourself: Else you will go crazy(ier)
- Take photos!
- Cherish the moments, all of them: Sketchy/hilarious moments make for great stories to fellow hikers