Thursday, April 28, 2016

Week Two Recap: Niggles

If you want to learn more about my challenge: Running a 5k in every borough in London in one weekend, please go here! I am running for CrisisUK, and you can donate to the cause here. Interested to run a borough with me? Email me at moosenshoes[at]gmail[dot]com (slightly obfuscated to confuse the bots!)

Well week two was pretty good, although not so much weather wise! My stats look pretty good for distance and pace, although I do wish I went a bit faster pace wise. I am still under my 10 minute mile limit but I know it will get harder in my challenge was the distance racks up. May need to sneak in a speed/temp session into my weekly run.

Day Value (mi)
Mon 6.06
Wed 6.21
Fri 6.22
Sat 10.9
Sun 8
Total Distance 37.39
Date Column1 Pace
18/04/2016 8:41 min/mi
20/04/2016 8:55 min/mi
22/04/2016 9:45 min/mi
23/04/2016 9:47 min/mi
23/04/2016 9:52 min/mi
24/04/2016 9:26 min/mi

I also tried to do a GoodGym mission on Saturday, which unfortunately fell through, but still meet a lovely group of people and had a chat over a coffee. If you have never heard of GoodGym, highly recommend you look them up. They are all over the UK and basically combine volunteer work with exercise. Amazing concept! 

However, at the end of week two I got a niggle. This is always a dread in the running world, because you never know if it is something that will go away with a rest day or two or if it is the sign of something bigger. 

So after my yoga/stretch session on Monday I hit my hill training with a bit of trepidation.  The niggle was still there... disconcerting. I felt it behind my knee, and let me tell you, the foam roller got some usage that night! 

I am deciding to let it rest for a couple of days before I continue, skipping a 10k in the process. I feel it's important to realise missing one or two training days is OK if you really feel it would improve your health overall. That being said, it's also important to know when you need to seek professional help, so if it comes back I will be calling a physio. I do not want to have to pull out so early on in training, but at least I can fix it now where I have more maneuverability, rather than a week or two before the big day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment