Sunday, April 17, 2016

Week One Training: Running the Boroughs

If you want to learn more about my challenge: Running a 5k in every borough in London in one weekend, please go here! I am running for CrisisUK, and you can donate to the cause here

I came back from Japan on Monday and definitely wanted a snooze. However, I read the book "Don't Stop Me Now" by Vassos Alexander on my travels, and he swears by running to break the jetlag. Seeing as how I needed to start running, figured I would give it a try.

Classic View 
The weather did not look like it was going to cooperate, it was raining the entire way home (yay England!) but the running gods smiled on me and the rain stopped long enough for me to get out into the Big Smoke for a run.

I am happy to report that running did the trick! Not only did I feel very refreshed and broke the jetlag (or at least wounded it greatly) I got to soak in some killer views-one of the reasons why London is so brilliant.

Beauty & the Beigel 
I also got to do my Beigel Run on Friday, a 10k off which takes off every Friday morning from Beigel Bake on Brick Lane. This is the with group Advent Runners, a wonderfully fun running group who also does track sessions and long runs during the week. You gotta wake up quite early with a start time of 7am, but to be able to bite into a lovely, chewy, beigel after a run is such a great feeling.

I only had to do one run this weekend, which was good as I went to Brighton on Sunday to support my friend running her first marathon. It was fun to be on the other side of the coin-- cheering runners on rathers than being the runner. I hope people understood my sign of 'Worse Parade Ever' was a joke! The weather was gorgeous too-- and it really made me want to lace up my trainers as well. I was enviously looking at the trails I could see from the train, but managed to convince myself that rest days are just as important as workout days and made a note of the location (Three Bridges) for later on in training.

I didn't run as far as I was hoping to and I blame the treadmill. I did a hill session on Tuesday which really did a number on me, and I just couldn't put in the extra miles afterwards. Does that mean it was a good session? The weather was brutal on Thursday and I was running low on time so it was back on the dreadmill to squeeze in a 5k rather than the 10k I had planned along the canal.

Running Distance for Week One

Thanks to those sessions I told myself I will ALWAYS go running outside unless really forced otherwise. Also, I need to get accustomed to running in all sorts of weather.

Best of luck to everyone running the London Marathon-- insanely jealous of you and I will be out there to cheer you on!


No comments:

Post a Comment