Monday, June 13, 2011

Saturday: Kirkby Stephen to Keld


Miles walked: 11

What a day of differences! Yesterday I would have killed for some wind-- today that was almost all I got. It was brutal heading up to Nine Standards today, so windy it was hard to move in any direction! It was sad because it would have been nice to stay up there and photograph, but the weather was just so brutal I could not be bothered.

The neat thing about Nine Standards, like most ancient structures, the actual intent of its creation is still unknown. Some think it was part of an old boundary line, or it was supposed to look like a camp to invading groups. Thats half the interest in them.

Another really exciting thing about passing the Nine Standards is that I crossed the watershed of Britain. This means all rivers and lakes I pass empty out to the North Sea instead of the Irish Sea. 95 miles! Hooray! It is a great accomplishment and I am quite proud of myself.

Since the last two days were so dry, the moors were not so bad. We have been very lucky with the weather, not too bad but not always too good either.

The Three Musketeers are done (they were only doing half) which I found sad-they are three good guys and always good for a laugh. Have to head back to the pub after dinner for a goodbye pint.

I am staying at the Keld Bunkhouse, which is very nice. I am sharing a room with someone I know, I am eating Quorn chili, which will be good for tomorrow, something to stick to my bones to the 12 mile journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment