Thursday, July 14, 2011

Made in Buffalo... with pride


I used to cringe when people would ask me where I was from. After muttering the pariah term "Buffalo" I was generally met with phrases such as 'wide right', 'no goal', 'rust belt' or worse yet, 'is that near New York City?'

However now I am hearing a bit of a different tune. I still get those comments, however its from people who have never even been to the Buffalo area. Those people who have actually been to 'The Queen City' or the 'City of Lights' are quite amicable towards it... they even enjoyed it!

I knew it was just a matter of time before I felt the same. You can take the girl out of Buffalo, but you can't take the Buffalo out of the girl. In the next few blogs I will post some of the things and places in Buffalo which made me fall in love with my hometown all over again.

Events

  • Buffalo Bisons Game: I am going to say first- I do not really like baseball at all. I like the hot dogs and the peanuts. However, unlike MLB tickets which may cost your children their college education, these tickets can be as little as $9.50. They also have entertaining things going on between innings (I personally like wing vs celery vs bleu cheese) and if you on Fridays, you get post-game fireworks! And with the money you saved on tickets, there is plenty of money to go to the bars later!
  • Shakespeare in Delaware Park: Situated very close to the famous Albright Knox Gallery and the Elmwood strip, this is always a great (and free!) way to spend a summer evening in Buffalo. Only New York City has a larger Shakespeare in the program. And I can guarantee you Buffalo is a bit lighter on the wallet!
  • LinkThursday in the Square: Where can you see the Goo Goo Dolls (also a Buffalo institution along with Ani DiFranco) for free? Or the Mighty Mighty Bosstones? This is also a great place to find new and upcoming talent in the opening acts. One of my friends bands (The Pillagers) opened up for Blues Traveler!
  • Taste of Buffalo: Most people know about the food from Buffalo (if not read on!) however you can sample those and many more diverse and eclectic foods all in one location. Right in downtown Buffalo- its a great location and a great way to spend the afternoon.
I know I know I know... its summer. What can possibly be going in Buffalo in the winter?! Well with all that snow, we got tons of winter sports! Downhill/cross country skiing, ice skating (indoor or outdoor), hockey games (Go Sabres), and the ever beautiful Festival of Lights in Niagara Falls. Well that one is on the Canadian side... but I heard rumours it might get started up again on the US side....

No comments:

Post a Comment