Friday, May 20, 2016

Steps are the Hills of London

If you want to learn more about my challenge: Running a 5k in every borough in London in one weekend, please go here! I am running for CrisisUK, and you can donate to the cause here

We encounter steps every day in our lives. I climb 5 flights every day heading into the office, mostly because our lifts are so darn slow. When trying to avoid a dreadmill session, I decided to try and find some steps to help recreate my hill session.

Luckily, Annie from Exerk did the hard work for me. She sought out a good portion of publically accessible stairs in London and posted for all to enjoy.

I did this workout in the morning, because, let's face it, More London during the day is rammed with people. I also added a tiny loop (a little less than half a kilometer) to help me shake out the steps after each set. At first I did just stepping up, then started to push off more with the balls of my feet to add an explosive mini launch. This was good as the steps were quite wide so a normal step required a quick shuffle closer, whereas the launch got me to the next step.

Do you incorporate steps/hills into your sessions? I know I have a few hills in my challenge, but I am hoping these trainings will prepare me for them as best as possible.

I made a video showing my session with some 'fun facts'. I also learned a fun fact about recording on a iPhone and importing into GoPro can lead to some funny angles that can't be fixed. Hence the jaunty angle for the first bit. I apologise.



I am really hoping to get in a 17 mile run this weekend-- we shall see how that goes! Until next time everyone, keep running and keep happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment